A history of NBA logos

by Micah Hart

Josh Cohen over at the Orlando Magic’s website has some time on his hands, like many of us right now, and has put it to good use with this rundown of the history of logos for each current NBA franchise.

There is tons of goodness in there, and you should click the link to see them all, but here are a few of my faves:

Denver Nuggets, 1976-81

The Nuggets hate rabbits, and other cotton-pickin’ varmints.

Fort Wayne Pistons, 1941-48

I for one would like to welcome our robot overlords.

Chicago Bulls, 1966-present

Give it up to the Bulls, the only franchise to have never changed logos. Timeless and classic.

Houston Rockets, 1971-72

This looks like it was ripped straight out of a Schoolhouse Rock cartoon. “I’m just a ball, yes I’m only a ball…”

New York Knicks, 1946-64

Frankly, I am speechless on this one. I have no idea what is going on here, and I don’t recall seeing many basketball players wearing capes either. The best part about it is that this was the team’s logo for eighteen years.

Milwaukee Bucks, 1968-93

I miss the days when animals on logos were friendly. This Buck just wants to play ball and have a good time, what’s wrong with that?

What are some of your faves?

Evolution of NBA logos [Orlando Magic]

Seen something that belongs on All Ball? Let us know via email or Twitter.

1. Travis says:

The Knicks logo from 1946-64 is actually one of the founding fathers playing basketball. You can tell by the wig, the hat, and the clothes.

2. Emmanuel Torres Macalinao says:

you forgot something in new orleans hornet team which they use also oklahoma city hornets.thats all thanks

3. mohd says:

NY’s old logo is so mad jokes. I couldnt help laughing n lets hope dat we have a season this year coz ma lakers gonna win this year!

4. Eric says:

My favorite logo is the Houston Rockets logo from 1995-2003 (The rocket circling the basketball).

I have no idea why the Warriors decided to change their logo last year, I preferred the old one with the guy holding the Warriors sign.

And about the first Knicks logo, what the hell is that? It looks like Dracula trying to grab a basketball, possibly to try to suck the blood out of it. Just plain weird.

5. Take5 says:

the pistons logo with the black horse was my favorite logo. and go lakers we got more rings comin!

6. Jeri says:

i love the logo and the uniform develop..enjoy the game

7. warriors says:

the new warriors logo and uniform is timesless and awesome looking its perfection

8. Arnon says:

I think the Knick logo represents an old Dutch guy. knicks as in short for knickerbockers – those knee length trousers the old Dutch who founded new-York (then new Amsterdam) used to wear – and the logo depicts (I think) an old dutch person (known for orange as well) wearing those knee length trousers…

9. cp3 says:

haha, funny article.

respect for the friendly buck!

10. Paul says:

Where is Boston Celtics logo?

11. uroboric_tom says:

Hello from Poland ! I liked 80`s / 90`s logos. I collected stickers from bubble gums, cards and other stuff I could get in freshly post-comunistic Poland, I remember first NBA broadcasts (in fact it was just 50 minutes shortcut once a week) in late 80`s and early 90`s . Later first NBA Finals LIVE broadcast in polish TV (Bulls – Suns). Built a basket by myself (with my father`s help) and spent an hours on the field playing with my friends, even at night. It was the best times in my life. Yes – I`m too sentimental ;) It`s priceless to see old logos again. I love Bucks and Nuggets logos! What about Supersonics logo ? It should be here :)

12. jjjjj says:

Micheal Jordan is god of Basketball in the Univese

13. migui says:

I love the Bucks logo. Makes me smile. :D

14. willie says:

i like the atlanta hawks logo during dominique wilkins era… and seattle sonics, kemp and payton era….

15. Matt D says:

Great stuff!
    The 1970 Sonics win the ‘Most Creative’ logo.

16. Matt G says:

The early Knicks logo looks like Bananaman’s(UK kids cartoon character) cousin!

17. Jeff says:

The Suns symbol that you have used is not the current one. The Suns changed their symbo like three years ago. It is still a basketaball with fire behind, but the fire behind is now in the shape of a Phoenix (the bird).

18. Desik says:

The old miami heat logo is sick.

19. Andy says:

That Knicks logo isn’t a cape, it’s a blue jacket with an orange vest.

20. Professional Athletes David says:

Well the logos from the past till today are quite interesting and creative. Only the bulls have retained the logo but I think it was a good choice since many people like it the way it is. Other have not retain the logo must have a valid reason so it does not bother fans for they have improve it.