Meet The Pistons’ Dancing Usher

By Jeff Case

The season is winding down and things haven’t gone so great in Detroit. The Pistons are just waiting to be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention for the fourth straight season and are on pace for their worst winning percentage in four seasons as well. Other than a roster stocked with young talent like Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond, Brandon Knight, Kyle Singler and fan favorite Viacheslav Kravtsov, there have not been a lot of reasons to get pumped about Detroit this season.

But don’t tell that to Shannon Sailes, or as he’s better known to The Palace at Auburn Hills faithful: The Dancing Usher. Since last season, Sailes has made a name for himself by busting out some pretty sharp dancing moves during the Dance Cam segment during timeouts at Pistons home games. We haven’t seen any video proof of this until this season and after seeing it, Sailes joins the aforementioned young core as a reason to take in a Detroit home game.

Jim Schaefer of The Detroit Free Press has a great Q&A with the man behind the moves and we’ve got the videos to back up just how great this guy is:

1. kavel says:

this guy should get a raise for puting on a show.

2. bambamsimons says:

Reblogged this on The Armchair Sports Society and commented:
    Who needs a smile today? Great videos of The Dancing Usher in Detroit.

3. […] here to see the videos and check out the dancing Usher […]

4. HE SHOULD BE AT THE HALF TIME ENTERTAINMENT thats all i can say

5. SHANNON SAILES says:

WOW THANK YOU SO MUCH, IM SO HONORED TO BE APART OF THE NEW DETROIT PISTONS TEAM AT THE PALACE,
    I REPRESENT ALL THE HARD WORKING USHERS AND COOKS BEHIND THE SCENE YOU DONT SEE… AND IF I CAN GIVE BACK TO THE PISTONS WITH A DANCE MOVE TO HELP PUMP UP THE CROWD, TO GET THE FIRE GOING UNDER THE PISTON PLAYERS, WELL PUT THE CAMERA ON ME… LETS GO DETROIT

6. James Yates says:

I went to the Pacers-Pistons game a while ago and was delightfully blown away when the “Dancing Usher” broke out during the dance cam…this man is GOOD!! and was the highlight of the game..as the Pistons lost. Keep dancing man!!!

7. more entertaining than the pistons thats for sure!

killer moves man

8. jake s says:

haha we now have a reason to go see a pistons game.

9. alex says:

@ Shannon

Just to let you know, we see and love your dance skillz also in Austria/ Europe!

You`re the man! Keep on rocking!

10. Michael Anderson says:

Shannon you are too cool! I’ve not really followed the detroit pistons before, but if I ever come over from the UK, I’d come to the basketball just to see your show, maybe even teach you a move or two!

11. Bejo says:

Great talent, always smiling, and have a great purpose.
    Hats OFF.

12. Amsterdam Tigri says:

Silky and smooth! A star in the building! seen in Holland!!

13. Sajh23 says:

Shannon, greetings from Slovenia…Usher is for you a litlle baby…killer moves boy…

14. i'm a fan says:

I never commented on this nba site, but I must say, watching you dance is better than hearing about the 27 heat win streak.

15. Chris says:

Nice page

16. From France says:

Dude, you’re awesome!

17. Radoslav Kolev says:

It is a dream for me to see a game from the NBA but seeing you dancing will be an honor. Great dance moves a good way to give more to the people and pump the crowd up. Keep doing your thing you are great :)

18. MrsSteel says:

I am the biggest fan of The Dancing Usher. One day I am going to get the nerve and ask him to do a dance routine with me. Then I will move on to my next goal and have myself, The Dancing Usher and Ellen Degeneres do a routine together and perform it during the Piston’s halftime show or on the Ellen Degeneres show…lol. Am I dreaming to big….lol. Anyway Dancing Usher keep doing what you doing because you keep a smile on my face when I need it!!!

19. Steve R says:

Shannon, those pop & lock moves are spot on! Nice creativity on top of the MJ moves as well. Enjoyin’ it from Toronto, Canada!

20. @TheRealJIP says:

Is he just a regular guard?

• MrsSteel says:

I think you mean usher right? I would say so cause he showed me to my seat before with no issue. When I think of guards I think of the people who can come remove you from their establishment if you get out of hand. By the way what does your JIP stand for if you do not mind me asking?

21. Skerg says:

HAhahahaaa!!! Love it!! He went from Michael to the Carlton Banks to the Robot!!! Hahahaa…

22. Mark says:

he kinda looks like Ray Allen lol

23. flip says:

LOL at the guy in blue in the first video

24. HonestGuy says:

Awesome

25. cb says:

Thanks for everything Shannon. I’ve see you at a bunch of games, and you’ve even nodded to me!. Considering how boring the Pistons actually are, I think I’m paying to see you!!!!

26. cb says:

Hey, BTW anyone who would like an autograph of him, I will be seeing him on the 15th, so LMK if you need anything signed :)

27. HEAYNATION says:

looks like ray allen lmfao

28. John0713 says:

This Guy Is So Funny & His A Great Dance Breaker

29. MonteC says:

This guy need to be traded to a bigger market! What about taking his talent to the south beach.

30. @BullsFanDan says:

Whenever I hear the word “Detroit”, I think of another word that rhymes with “ducks”.

31. aweroh says:

White guy robot in first video.

32. Joseph says:

Is that Chris Tucker in the 3rd video at about 0:16 below the guy dancing??

33. LetsBeReal says:

I watched all 4 videos and realized that by doing so I have watched 4 more videos of this dancing Usher than any Pistons highlights this season (except DeAndres facial on Knight, which is more of a Clipper highlight anyways)

34. Simon Says says:

This guy is great, some ppl probably come to the games just to see him do his thing.

35. Andy says:

Shannon, you are a legend! Absolutely love what you add to the game. It is great to see someone with such a joy for life. I am certain you put a smile on everyone’s face. Keep on dancing.

36. Barbara says:

This usher is the best dancer I’ve seen in a long time. I could watch him all day. Fabulous, please give us more. I’m sure he’ll be working for Madonna soon.

37. Shellfish says:

OMG this guy is really good…he should get a raise…I love to see him dance……he keeps the game more interested……

38. jdearman77 says:

Shannon, great moves, but I will always be the ORIGINAL “DANCING USHER” – since I have been doing it since 2008. at the TD Garden. You can have the claim to fame. but I am always the original dancing usher in the NBA. (Boston Celtics Dancing Usher) =)

• shannon sailes says:

You can have what ever it is you claim is original, im only doing me, and i do me well, im THE ORIGINAL ME,
      AND I AM THE DETROIT PISTONS DANCING USHER, I REP DETROIT CITY AND ALL STATES I GO TO, EVEN YOUR TOWN IF I COME. and thanks for going out your way to make your self known…. its cool to have some one understand what we do is magic ,have a bless day bro, keep in touch