Celtics Pay Tribute To KG, Pierce

By Jeff Case

One of the most anticipated homecomings of the season took place last night when the Boston Celtics hosted the Brooklyn Nets. It marked the first game ex-Celtics Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce played at TD Garden since being traded to Brooklyn last summer.

Both players have deep emotional ties to the franchise, with Pierce being drafted by the team in 1999 and playing 15 seasons there, helping the Celtics go from Eastern Conference afterthought to a title-winner (2008) and perennial contender. A big key to those contending days came via of the addition of Garnett in the summer of 2007. KG won Defensive Player of the Year honors in his first season with Boston (2007-08) and was arguably — with Pierce — the heart of those contending Celtics clubs.

None of those feats were lost on the Celtics as a franchise, as they had been planning a big video tribute for the duo for weeks, per the Boston Globe. Even before fans got to see those tributes, KG and “The Truth” got plenty of love from the hometown fans during the player introductions …

VIDEO: Garnett, Pierce introduced before Nets take on Celtics

Then came the in-game tributes for KG and Pierce, both of which stirred up plenty of emotion for Boston fans.

KG’s tribute was first:

And then, after the first quarter, Pierce was honored:

The reaction from the crowd was appreciated plenty by the duo, who saw the Nets win the game 85-79.

VIDEO: Garnett, Pierce talk about their return to Boston

(h/t to The Brooklyn Game)

1. This was an awesome tribute to Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. I was in tears. I love the Boston Celtics and I always will. My entire life I have only bought one NBA shirt and it was a Boston Celtic shirt when they won the Championship. I was sad when those guys left Boston, but like I said I am a fan of Boston. That only means for me, that I am a Boston fan and a Paul and Kevin fan as well no matter where they are. God bless you all!

2. ibelle omacha says:

This was a pathetic tribute to Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. I was in shame. I hate the Boston Celtics and I always will. My entire life I have only bought one NBA shirt and now that i’m an adult, it’s too small . I was happy when those guys left Boston, but like I said I am a not a fan of Boston. That only means for me, that I am a Boston hater and a Paul and Kevin hater as well no matter where they are. God damn you all!

3. ai83 says:

Deserved tribute to these two living legends, two monsters Pierce & KG. Respect for two future hall of famers. They are special players.

4. blazetheendlessblaze says:

That was an average tribute to Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. I was indifferent. I don’t care about the Boston Celtics and I never will. My entire life I have only bought one NBA shirt and it was a Boston Celtics shirt, and I never cared for it. I didn’t care when those guys left Boston, but like I said I don’t care about Boston. That only means for me, that I couldn’t care less about Boston and Paul and Kevin as well no matter where they are. God forget you all!

5. abdullah hussaini says:

I always hated n will hate Celtics n Lakers
    they are ……………….

6. Romeo Aguirre says:

I’m a Kobe fan but I will remember them as celtics I always pulled for them against the heat kinda hope they can get one more with the nets

7. RobAir23 says:

Living Legends
    A deserving tribute

8. Jky says:

5 years later, you may see those same video tributes in their hall of fame ceremony.
    10 years later, you may watch them on YouTube during a cold and boring sunday midnight..
    25 years later.. you gonna miss them and the old nba..

9. EJ Ruiz says:

It is so nice for the Celtics fans to do such tribute. The Cavs’ fans never did this for LBJ. This only ahows how much respect the Celtic fans are as the ball game’s “sixth man”.

…but it would be nice if Ray Allen had one too.. :)

10. Whateva... says:

Where are the Lebron haterz? you guys kill me. the only true celtic is paul pierce by some of you guys terrible standard that a person must stay with the team they were originally drafted by. show me the stone where that is written that you can only be great or a goat if you stay with the team that drafted you. it’s business PERIOD. KG was a Timberwolf. Is he not a traitor to Minnesota fans??? People call Ray Allen a traitor (even KG and Paul Pierce) for going to Miami but nobody aid anything when he came to Boston and helped them win a chip??? Paul Pierce needed help and got KG and Ray Allen (originally a Supersonic). So why does Lebron get hated for leaving (legally due to contract ending) to miami. And that move doesn’t mean championship automatically as we all know 2 for 3 as far chips. Even Boston with their trade moves are 1 for 3 as far chips (technically they should’ve won a second but kendrick perkins injury robbed them).