Throwback Thursday: All-time best Raptors

VIDEO: NB90s looks back on Vince Carter’s glory days in Toronto

Welcome to Throwback Thursday here on the All Ball Blog. Each week, we’ll delve into the NBA’s photo archives and uncover a topic and some great images from way back when. Hit us up here if you have suggestions for a future TBT on All Ball.

Today’s Topic: The top Raptors of all-time

On May 22, 1994, Toronto was scheduled to enter the NBA as an expansion franchise for the 1995-96 season. It was on that day that the team’s nickname, the Raptors, was unveiled and an NBA team was fully realized. Today, we look back on the greatest players to ever suit up for the Raptors, from the early days in the “dino” jerseys to the current group this season that took home the Atlantic Division title and set a franchise record for wins.

(NOTE: Click the “caption” icon below the photo for details about each moment.)

Gallery: TBT: Top Raptors of all-time

What do you most remember about the Raptors? Leave your comments below!

1. jdub455 says:

Vinsanity!!! Vince Carter as a raptor will never be forgotten and is and will always be in the History books as one of the most exciting players in the NBA ever…

2. dw says:

What about Alvin Williams & JYD???????????????

3. lbj says:

Our “king” LeBron will be the best raptops player of all time if he lives in Canada hey Carter you are very lucky!

4. Gotta add Marcus Camby on the list somewhere. Vince Carter, Mighty Mouse and Chris Bosh definitely are on the list. Maybe too soon for DeRozan and Lowry.

• Daniel Jacques says:

The best player to ever wear a Raptor jersey was Hakeem Olajuwon. Too bad it has the end of his career and should have been retired already. I remember he had one good game in a dino jersey though. My favorites are Charles Oakely, Vince Carter, Jose Calderon, Boogie Williams, Jerome Williams, Jalen Rose, Morris Peterson and Dell Curry. Doug Christie is an important player in their history as well. I liked Antonio Davis a lot until he decided living in Canada was an infliction. JV and DD will be on list soon. Also Lowry if he stays. T-Mac would have obviously been on it had he stayed. Sorry Barfnani you didn’t make the list, lol. Only player to wear a Raptor jersey who I really didn’t like was Hedu Turkoglu. Worst pickups or signings; well Turkoglu for one, Rafael Araujo (waste of a high pick), Landry Fields (sorry Landry I Iike you and you are a good player but you have been hurt the whole time), Michael Stewert (His contract was a problem), Chris Bosh (Yes Bosh because they could have drafted Wade), Jermaine O’Neil (Because could have had Roy Hibbert instead), and Ironically Olajuwan. Biggest snubs were from Kenny Anderson and Alonzo Mourning.

• Daniel Jacques says:

Sorry my comment was supposed to be a reply!?!

5. JC says:

You forgot Marcus Camby!!!

6. AntLive Sosa says:

Mighty Mouse Stoudamire was one of the best pg’s @ the time… Loved 2 watch him play

7. Ed says:

Alvin Williams should be listed for sure.

8. vince says:

Vincent Lamar Carter 4 sure

9. marlon green says:

Are you guys serious? Can we do something like this for a team that has at least 5 legitimate players that was great for the team? The only players I would say was great as a Raptor was Vince and Stoudamire and Bosh. But as far as great or other good Raptors I would say Hakeem Olajuwon and thats about it. Everyone else has been average Derozan and Lowry still has a way to go.

• daSNAKE says:

Hakeem THE DREAM was never a Raptor, the hell you talking about man.

• daSNAKE says:

*a TRUE raptor. 61 games averaging 7 points and 6 rebs a game, he don’t even need to be mentioned. He’s a Rocket.

• Ibizzle says:

Marlon, today is the Raptors’ 20th anniversary so it wouldn’t really make sense to do this for another team.

Go Raptors!

10. That guy. says:

Valanciunas should be there if they have Amir Johnson there.

11. CB says:

VC (Of Course), T-Mac, Damon Stoudemire, Doug Christie, Antonio Davis, Chris Bosh, Mo-P

12. josh gonzales says:

yeah he was dude… google it. he was a raptor at the end of his career

13. Omar says:

Bosh
    V.Carter
    Damon Stoudemire
    Antonio Davis
    Mo Pete
    JYD
    Calderon
    DeRozan
    Alvin William

Lowry,A.Johnson don’t deserve to be there

14. SOLO says:

VINCE CARTER, TRACEY MCGRADY, DOUG CHRISTIE, ANTONIO DAVIS,DAMON STOUDAMIRE,CHRIS BOSH AND DELL CURRY ARE MY FAVORITE RAPTORS

15. youngbagel says:

VC, Bosh,Stoudamire, Antonio Davis are the obvious ones. Gotta give it up to the unsung heroes like Dell Curry, Doug Christie, Morris Petersen, Alvin Williams, JYD etc…

16. Agudo says:

Demar DeRozan is the next best thing in the NBA. Raptors will make it to the East Finals in 2015. You heard it first, right here!

17. Char says:

This list does not include T-Mac, Stoudamire, Doug Christie but Lowry having one great season is in? This list needs to be re-do by someone who actually watched the Raptors since they came in. =/

18. jay1221 says:

T-mac!

19. Valon says:

Damon Stoudamire, Doug Christie, Vince Carter, Morris Peterson, Demar Derozan, Amir Johnson and Kyle Lowry

20. David says:

Andrea Bargnani. But he was awful! Glad the Knicks took him. Maybe that’s why they were so bad this year.

21. Janitor says:

-Lowry
    -tie: JYD/AD

Just missed the cut:
    -Alvin Williams
    -Doug Christie
    -Cotton Camby
    -Zan Tabak…just playin! Meant to say Bargnani but who are we kidding?

22. gjm says:

my Bet is Damon Stoudamire. I also have his number @ my Jersey “20” ..

23. meatyourmaker says:

Are you kidding me?? Ya’ll forget TJ Ford or something?

• Daniel Jacques says:

In what respect did I forget TJ Ford? He was good but not one of my favorites and not worth mentioning otherwise.

24. Daniel Jacques says:

Sorry. This thing is messing me up. I seen your comment in my email and thought is was a reply to my comment because that was all I asked for. So I hit reply from my inbox. Now I see it wasn’t directed to my comment. You can like Ford all you want.