Throwback Thursday: Best teams of the 1980s

VIDEO: Relive the top moments from The 1983 Finals between the Sixers and Lakers

Welcome to Throwback Thursday here on the All Ball Blog. Each week, we’ll delve into the NBA’s photo archives and uncover a topic and some great images from way back when. Hit us up here if you have suggestions for a future TBT on All Ball.

Today’s Topic: Best Teams of 1980s

This week we continue our Throwback Thursday: Best Teams of Each Decade series by looking at the best teams to play in the 1980s.

Make sure to check back next week for our look at the best teams of the 1990s!

(NOTE: Click the “caption” icon below the photo for details about each moment.)

Gallery: TBT: Best Teams of the 1980s

Previous weeks:

Best Teams of 1940-50s
Best Teams of 1960s
Best Teams of 1970s

Which of these teams do you think would do best in today’s NBA? Leave your comments below!

1. BNS says:

I went to my first NBA game at age eight with my father. The game was in San Antonio in the early 80′s – maybe 1982 – It was the Western Conference Finals – San Antonio v. LA. We sat right at the top of the old Hemisphere Arena – the electricity in the building was amazing.

I have been an NBA fan ever since.

To this day – i still believe George Gervin is the greatest pure scoring player to have ever played the game. I have always believed its no coincidence Jordan and Gervin spent a year or two on the same team.

Ice Man Commeth!

• lbj says:

The best throwback thursday will be the Cleveland 2014 when our “king” LeBron reunited with Akron Ohio to bring the first ever championship ring in this land!

2. Mrs. Rawl says:

I’ve never been to a game but I don’t miss it on TV. I’ve watched the NBA for over 30 years beginning when I was about 10-years-old. My grandfather, mother, brother and I would watch together. The 80′s, however, are the high time for me as well because it’s the time I remember the most and I’m most connected to. It was during my teen years and my friends and I thought Magic was hot; still is. LOL.

3. Jason says:

Absurd to put the Bulls ahead of the Pistons (2 titles, though one was technically in 1990; and 3 finals), 76ers (1 title, 3 finals). Heck, even the Rockets made it to the Finals twice.

And why are the Bucks ahead of the 76ers?

Absurd, No wonder I cancelled my subscription.

1. Lakers, 2. Celtics, 3. 76ers, 4. Pistons, 5. Rockets, 6. Bucks, 7. Bulls. Should have stopped there.

4. Mark says:

Please troll harder lbj

5. lbj says:

those are the best teams ever. not softies and floppers like “king” james