Here’s why you should pay attention at an NBA game

ALL BALL NERVE CENTER — A long time ago, I was sitting courtside at a Mavericks game in Dallas, keeping my head down and doing my job. But I knew that sitting courtisde, I was always at risk for a collision — with a player, with a basketball, with a referee, whatever. And sure enough, eventually the ball finally came zooming at my head. I had a split-second to make one of two choices:
1. Try to catch the ball, with the possibility of either catching the ball or the ball banging off my hands and the crowd laughing at my poor catching skills.
2. Duck and let someone else deal with it.

I chose the second option, and the ball ended up hitting someone behind me. Still, because I was paying attention, I was able to get out of the way.

The lesson here, is that when you’re at an NBA game, if you’re sitting anywhere close to the court, it’s a good idea to always pay attention. Last night in Charlotte, where the Hornets were hosting the Sacramento Kings, a pass intended for Gerald Henderson, though he ended up letting it go — I guess he thought it was tipped — and the ball instead went directly into the face of a woman sitting behind the Charlotte bench who was checking her telephone. Here’s a wide look via GIF…

OnlyRipeAfricanaugurbuzzard

For a closer look, here’s a Vine, where it becomes clear that the people around her were pretty much no help at all. Even Noah Vonleh on the Hornets bench gives the ball a little side-eye as it flies past…

(The good news? Apparently she was able to laugh it off.)

1. Justin L says:

anyone else thinking it was pretty funny? or am I the only one going to hell? HEADSHOT!

2. Mud says:

This is why I have not owned a phone in years. Your attention to detail declines when you own a phone. It’s just sad to see people glued to their texter while walking around without even paying attention to where they are going. You pay big bucks to be at one of these games and you are on your phone? GTFO

3. djkhaled says:

LOL slow mo is too funny and the guy that kinda tries to save her.. but hes like meh w.e LOL

4. RJ says:

Victim?! I’ll take those expensive seats if you don’t want to watch the game, thanks. Pay attention! Otherwise, stop paying big bucks and helping to propel ticket prices skyward if you don’t even care about the game. Get some nosebleeds, or better yet, stay home. Everyone who can’t afford those $300 – $1500 (yes, I’ve seen them that high) seats directly behind the bench is the victim. Stop paying ridiculous sums of money for these seats if you don’t even care! You’re screwing over basketball junkies who would actually appreciate being that close.

5. KB says:

the big guy would block it with his left hand if he wasn’t busy with his mobileđŸ˜‰ lol

6. A.J. says:

I could watch that on a continuous loop for 24 consecutive hours, and I’d still be laughing at the end of hour 24.

7. JD says:

You are at a NBA game to WATCH the game NOT your smartphone.