Throwback Thursday: Larry Bird

VIDEO: Larry Bird scores 60 points on the Atlanta Hawks in 1985

Welcome to Throwback Thursday here on the All Ball Blog. Each week, we’ll delve into the NBA’s photo archives and uncover a topic and some great images from way back when. Hit us up here if you have suggestions for a future TBT on All Ball. Suggestions are always welcome!

Today’s Topic: Larry Bird drops 60 on Hawks

Few players in NBA history are more associated with the word clutch than Boston Celtics great Larry Bird. Over his 12 NBA seasons, he was an All-Star 11 times, won three NBA championships, was a three-time MVP, a two-time Finals MVP and created memory after unforgettable memory in the regular season and postseason.

On this date in 1985, though, Bird accomplished one of his best games ever, torching the Atlanta Hawks for 60 points before 10,079 fans. He was 22-for-36 from the field and 15-for-16 from the free throw line and, shockingly, nailed just one 3-pointer. (You can check out the box score from the game here.) But the memories of that game live on 30 years later.

With that in mind, we take a look back on the career that helped earn Bird the nickname “Larry Legend”.

Gallery: Throwback Thursday: Larry Bird’s career

What’s your most lasting Bird memory? Leave your comments below!

1. Larry Bird says:

lol @ the Hawks bench after 0:35. Hilarious. Sometimes it’s just ridiculous when an opposing player goes off like that…not much you can do.

2. Tim T. says:

Nice! Throwback theme weeks, I like it. Appreciate the players I grew up watching, the legends.

3. Karl says:

One of the top-3 GOAT

4. Jim Bowen says:

brings back the day with the pops in the recliner, me on the ground watching then going outside and saying bird!!!!each shot I made- made me smile today, thanks

• Adam Linh says:

@Jim Bowen I think that’s awesome. Reminds me of how kids yell “Kobe!” nowadays. I wonder what name is gonna catch on next?

5. Medoza Jimenez Valderama Hernandez says:

iaiah thomas sucks

6. Kevin Spain says:

Interesting tidbit, that game was at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans.

7. colby says:

you can’t stop the bird the best white player ever in the NBA

8. Bob says:

I love the reaction of the Atlanta’s bench when he made a 3 point shot and got foul. They too, where enjoying a great performance by one the best despite the obvious.

9. Christiaen says:

The start of the Golden Era of the NBA…
    Where is that time machine when you need one?
    No matter how much I still love the game today, there is nothing that will beat the era of Bird, Magic, Michael, Barkley, Ewing, Pippen and so many others.
    Time of my life!

10. Mike says:

The most talented player ever, Celtics during those years played unbelievable basketball…

11. JoeRocker says:

The most impressive things to me is that generally, when you score that much, you need to go to the line a lot and get a bunch of fastbreak points and open shots. Bird didn’t go much to the line that night and scored almost always guarded, out of mere incredible touch!

12. None Of The Above says:

I think one of the best things about Larry Bird was that he didn’t have great athleticism, so he would beat opponents with pure skill and intelligence. Only a tiny number of players in the history of the game can even get near his skill level let alone match it. It’s ridiculous how some people continue to undervalue him.

13. People like Tim Duncan, Kobe, Carmelo, Durant… They are all over rated, but then we look back at Magic, Bird, Jabbar, Jordan, Pippen, Shaq… Why can’t NBA bring in some player that will actually give James competition?

14. sgbball says:

wow , bird shooting is just pure heaven , I recall watching d.wilkins reminiscing about this game recently . The hawks players that celebrate bird performance was fined, heavily he added .lol

15. Dan says:

Did anyone notice that almost every shot in the clip was clean without touching rim.

16. bwisher says:

Great way to promote nostalgia and incorporate old fans and new fans using a visual platform to tell a story.