Atlanta Hawks suggest banning game-winning bank shots

VIDEO: Pierce game-winner

ALL BALL NERVE CENTER — In Game 3 of their series against the Washington Wizards, the Atlanta Hawks mounted a furious fourth quarter comeback, only to lose on a game-winning buzzer-beater from Paul Pierce. And not only was it a game-winning buzzer-beater, it was a game-winning buzzer-beater off of the glass. As Pierce said later, he didn’t call glass, he called game. Pierce joined Chicago’s Derrick Rose, who also hit a game-winning buzzer beater, also off the glass, to beat the Cavaliers.

How to deal? Well, the Hawks suggested perhaps we should just ban using the glass on buzzer-beaters altogether. If you’re a Hawks or Bulls fan, you can support this movement by signing their iPetition. OK, so it’ll never work, but still, as coping mechanisms go, this one is rather humorous.

1. Jim says:

Wow this is a terrible idea. Why would you take away game winning bank shots? If the ball goes through the hoop, it is points. That will never change.

• Facepalm says:

What baffles me is the amount of people who actually think the Hawks are serious, or think that the Hawks are sore losers. It’s a joke. That is all. This entire comment section is making me sad.

• ajax says:

@ Facepalm – its amazing, isn’t it? This is even the all ball blog, its usually about the silly stuff that happens in the basketball world. Incredible that anyone would take this as a serious proposition.

2. celentano says:

Ok let’s suggest to ban Atlanta Hawks from the nba! Must be a joke or they’re the biggest crybaby’s right now for the age’s to come,let’s start this petition first than … .

3. Eli Men says:

I agree with clentano! I will sign a petition to ban the hawks.

4. Aaron says:

@ATL Hawks LOL My Spurs are out of the playoffs, but you don’t hear us b*tchin. Take it like a man ATL. The series is not over. Don’t start giving up and pointing fingers. This is something that will come back to haunt you and should never be ocmsidered. Next someone demanding a crossover with that no bank buzzer beater. Where does it end.

5. CELTICS!!! says:

funny joke? or sore losing status?

6. The real slim shady says:

In my opinion I think it is an idea that should be considered. I think game winning bank shots should be considered to be banned. When you go shoot the ball for a three point buzzer beater your not trying to bank it in, ur trying to get a swish. I believe 95% of bank threes are pure luck. Now yes points are points and being a Celtics fan I will always love Paul Pierce but common do you really think he was trying to bank that in, or do you think he just got lucky and his shot was too hard and the backboard saved him? Same thingies for D-Rose. Now he’s you will have the Tim Duncan’s who make a living off the bank shot but that’s different. A falling back, hand in your face, off balance three that you chuck up at the basket and shoot to hard and the backboard saves your butt game winning three is wrong to me. I want to see a Lebron James or Steph Curry swish to win a game. Also stop complaining Hawks there is plenty of game left to play

7. willie says:

RE: Banning bankshots

That’s a ridiculous idea. Bankshots, finger rolls, lay-ups, slams dunks, jump shots and all the other ways of scoring are part of the game. It seems to me that Atlanta is trying to turn back the clock to a time when most of the scoring consisted of lay-ups and 10 foot jump shots. Borrrrrrrrrring!

8. Let it go…..let it go

9. Just let it go….

10. WarriorsFan says:

Why the heck would we want that to happen?#WeirdIdea

11. Together says:

I think this is funny, shows a good sense of humor. It is better than being a sore loser.

Oh and no comment for the people that are dumb enough to think this is actually real and not a joke.