LeBron James: Movie Star?

VIDEO: LeBron Trainwreck

ALL BALL NERVE CENTER — The thing that makes LeBron James so special, that makes him so unique, is his incredible versatility. Need someone to bring the ball up the court? Grab a big rebound? Hit a three? Block a shot? Lead the break? Defend pretty much any opponent?

There really isn’t much LeBron can’t do, which is how he racked up four MVP awards and two NBA championships by the age of 30. And it also explains why he’s getting rave reviews in his latest venture: movie acting. We’ve seen LeBron in commercials and hosting “Saturday Night Live,” but now he’s legitimately co-starring in Trainwreck, the latest film from super producer Judd Apatow, opening in theaters today.

And as LeBron explained to CNN, the movie business is a whole different ball game…

“It’s different than walking on the NBA floor, I’ll tell you that,” he told Rachel Nichols of CNN Sports. “I had much bigger nerves walking on set. It’s my first time. I’ve done commercials, I’ve done PSAs (public service announcements). I’ve done so many great things, but I’ve never stepped on a movie set. But it was extremely fun to be around those guys.”

James makes his acting debut in the comedy “Trainwreck,” directed by Judd Apatow and written by Amy Schumer. The movie hits theaters Thursday night. James plays himself, and he is cast as the best friend of actor Bill Hader’s character, sports doctor Aaron Conners.

And his role isn’t just a cameo. It became much more than that.

“Judd Apatow is one of the greatest directors and writers that we have,” James said. “I had a few scenes that we were going to do — a couple scenes, not a few. I had a couple scenes — and myself and Bill Hader, we kind of just hit it off, right off the bat.

“And it was, like, ‘OK, well, you know, you mind sticking around for a couple more days? We’re going to write another scene in here.’ And then I got into a scene with Amy Schumer, who’s unbelievable. And it was, like, ‘You mind sticking around for just one or two more days?’ And I ended up doing, like, five or six, maybe, like, seven scenes. I don’t want to give it up, how many scenes I’m in.”

In the NBA Finals against the Golden State Warriors, James put the Cleveland Cavaliers on his back, averaging 35.8 points, 13.3 rebounds and 8.8 assists per game — leading both teams in those categories. His injury-depleted Cavaliers ultimately lost to the Warriors in six games, but James single-handedly kept the series closer than most anticipated.

But in addition to hoops, James also is interested in taking his talents to the big screen.

“I always talked about it as a kid,” he said. “And even as an adult, I was, like, ‘Wow.’ You know, I always wanted to be the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,” he added, referring to the 1990s sitcom. “Will Smith kind of set it up. I was, like, ‘Man, that would be cool to be the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. How amazing would that be? Just be a silly kid in an unbelievable house and be around so many great people.’

“And then when I got older, you know, the ‘Bad Boy’ movies, I was, like, I would love to do an action movie — you know, be like a cop or something or be like Batman and be a superhero and be able to save people and save corruption and all that mess. I’ve always had it in my head.”

1. haywood jablome says:

seriously? come on… big-time player, big-time entrepreneur, big-time family man. but movie star? i don’t think so. maybe he’ll have some more or less successful films, but I see not much of an actor there. tv personality though? yes.

2. jack says:

REALLY? He would never be a movie star

3. nasus says:

Celebrity, yes. Star, on the court. Actor? Only if he’s playing himself.

Bless his little heart — he so desperately wants ‘to be like Mike.’

4. Lbj acting? Of course. Being a success in hollywood would be an accomplishment. Mj did it a little. Shaq did it as well. Acting well in movies would definitely help his global brand. So u know He will become an actor.

5. The Real Jeff Stewart says:

I don’t think he did this thinking he’ll be a great actor or to “be like Mike”…his popularity afforded him this opportunity and he took it…and they added scenes, so obviously the producers thinks he’ll help sell tickets…

6. johnnytc! says:

C’mon Bron! You should b takin your talents to learn how to play as a team. We know, its all about youuuuuuuu. give us all a big break and take you talents back to the playoffs again so we can watch you get your butt handed to you. Give us all a break, please.

• JayJay says:

Come on hate him if you must but he is one of the most unselfish superstars in the game. Play as a team? Did you even watch the Finals this year, or last year? What more in either Finals would you have LBJ do? .. I don’t like him ( because he has too many fans) but respect greatness if you love the sport.

• DT says:

I agree with JJ. I can’t understand why people hate LeBron. He’s actually a pretty decent guy in person. He hasn’t had any scandal on court or off court he’s generous on court and off court. He has acted in and written several commercials, and he’s currently the Executive Producer of a cable series called Survivor’s Remorse. He has done SNL. At this point his acting career is much more accomplished than Mike. He’s just trying to make the most of his celebrity. I will admit I am going to see the movie specifically to see how well LeBron acts in it. So he’s definitely selling tickets. Give the guy a break.

7. johnnytc! says:

I watched every minute of the last two years playoffs. Did you? Unselfish? You see unselfish when you saw San Antonio and now GS thats unselfish. It’s all about Bron. He could have Michael, Magic, Larry and Isaiah on his team and it would always be about an isolation to “king james”. If you think he is a team player that team will never win as he’s proven the last two years. Oh to “be like Mike”

• shakeitoffshakeitoff says:

are you kidding me? Lebron did everything he could this past year in Cleveland to win the championship. He was just beaten by a better team – with Irving and Love injured, Lebron was the only consistent Cavs player on the court. His teammates missed wide open shots and made terrible plays all the time without him. Cleveland lost despite of Lebron’s play, not because of it.

• bishopshawnl says:

Lbj deserves a break. He hes got skills but hes not great. He lost a few finals. So did magic bird chamberlin west and kobe. But the jordan comparison is and was always unfair to him cause theres only one mj. If there is a mild comparison its between kobe and Lbj. Kobe is rolling over in his grave about how everyone forgets about him and puts Lbj against mj. They’re all very talented but no one is mj. Oh yeah shout out to the stars like durant davis curry and harden that are on lebrons heels for best player in the league next year. All of them could be better than him soon.

8. johnnytc! says:

LBJ makes his teammates worse. it’s impossible for them to get into a flow because every play is an isolation for the King. King of what 34% from the field. Can’t blame it always on injures. He could have the best players in the NBA with him and they would still loose. Same script in Cleveland as in Miami and same result. It will be SAS or GS that will him down again in the playoffs. Most overrated and worshipped player in history. the era will end soon. I wish it wouldn’t as I enjoy proving over and over that a team always beats an individual.

9. silver says:

he’ll do good he flops a lot so he’s had a lot of practice acting

10. johnnytc! says:

You’re right Silver! But, his best flop is always in the playoffs.

11. PONGO says:

THE LBJ WILL GET THE OSCAR

12. johnnytc! says:

The Oscar for : The Oscar for the best individual player in the NBA goes toooooo, LBJ! He can take on your whole team by himself… Or he will take his ball and go home. Just ask his teammates in Miami….

13. Rhedz03 says:

Can’t wait to see Lbj first movie…Btw, Lbj should do a sequel on Mjs space jam movie…Mj had some guest on space jam..barkley, ewing, mugsy..Maybe if Lbj makes space jam 2 he can have his friends appear on it like melo, wade, paul heck throw durant and kobe aswell…Or maybe an action boxing film would be nice or a cop movie like..Lbj with will smith or chris lawrence or maybe a more serious actor like bruce willis or nicholas cage to pair with james would really kick it up a notch.

All in all..love what Lbj has done with his career…Hope to see more movies in future…See how the rock went from wrestling to movies…Lbj can do the same…Life after basketball…

Lebron and De nero would click
    Lebron and Adam Sandler Would click
    Lebron And Ben Stiler Would Click
    Lebron And Josh Radnor Would Click
    Lebron And Jim Parsons Would Click
    Lebron And zach galifianakis would click…

Hope you’re reading this LBJ…

14. Manny says:

This is nothing but an indulgence by a wealthy dude. You see, wealth and fame among other things, open up many doors. Or do you think, all the struggling actors that work menial jobs to get by are also being offered these amazing opportunities? Now, will he be good or great at it? Maybe. But frankly, who cares? Only those who idolize Lebron and will gladly pay to see him in a movie maybe. It is laughable though that such popularity can potentially earn him even greater returns than seasoned actors who have been at it for years and years and had only moderate success at best. What is says is that the “art” of acting is no longer valued in the old school sense.

15. DT says:

How come nobody ever compares LeBron to Kareem? Kareem did several movies/cameos in the 70’s and 80’s Airplane and Enter the Dragon are the most notable. I think it’s cool that they extended the movie based on how well LeBron interacted with his co-stars.

16. Jake says:

“I get free texts…” hahahaha