Nets rookie surprises Mother with a new house

VIDEO: Hollis-Jefferson house

ALL BALL NERVE CENTER — Brooklyn Nets rookie Rondae Hollis-Jefferson hasn’t played in an actual NBA regular season game yet, but he pulled off a surprise this weekend that will likely make him an instant favorite of NBA fans who haven’t even seen him play.

To celebrate his mother’s birthday, Hollis-Jefferson and his brother, Rahlir, teamed up to buy their mom a big surprise: a new house. As Rondae explained to the New York Post

We were searching for the house for a while. My brother, the realtor, my uncle and a couple others were looking at houses and telling me about it, and I thought this one was the perfect fit.

When I told the woman who owned the house why we were buying it, she cried. Being a mom, she understood what it meant more than us guys do. It was an emotional moment, and then she said, “We can make this happen.” They even bought my mom a cake!

We had a lot of our close family and friends and relatives at the house to surprise her. My sister was driving my mom to the house, and we told her to just knock on the door and ask for one of your friends.

The realtor opened the door and said, “Oh, who are you looking for?” When my mom said the name, the realtor said, “Oh, OK, come in.” Then everyone popped out and said, “Surprise!” and me and my brother had the cake, and she just started crying. To actually be able to show her the house and stuff on her birthday, it was a dream come true. It was a blessing.

She said it was her best birthday ever. That’s huge for me and my brother, and my uncle, who is like a brother to us. … That’s big in our eyes, to be able to do that. Being able to change your mom’s life, to be able to put her in a comfortable situation. … It makes that feeling in your heart go to ease.

Instead of worrying about where your mom is going, what she’s doing, it puts you at ease knowing she has a place of her own, and that she has somewhere to lay her head at night. It’s pretty special.

1. Malcolm says:

wow!!! u the best Rodae. that’s really awesome to do for your#Mum…#ThumbsUp

2. jakki Cee says:

Great story it warmed my hard, what a great thing to be able to do.

3. What an awesome thing to do.

4. NoAndNo says:

Good story…Would have been much better had they bought her a BRAND NEW house. To quote the NFL’s Cris Carter, “C’mon Man!” Step your game up – you’re in the NBA now. The least you can do for your mother is buy her a BRAND NEW house!!

• y u always lyin? says:

U c’mon man… really? c’mon bruh, that house is nicer than urs is bruh

• lang says:

shhhhhhh

• turtle2916 says:

What difference does int make if it was a brand new house of not? Even celebrities buy homes that are not brand new. 50 cent bought Mike Tysons old house.

• Neena Burnett says:

Don’t know who you are but our family has always been taught to give thanks for our blessings and if you watched the video for its worth you will see that it is not about the value of the house but the love and appreciation of a mother’s love and sacrifice. Cousins let comments such as these roll off your back and keep it moving.😘

• Banks says:

Rookies dnt get paid alot bruh but he still put his money up

5. ebrahim csay says:

Dats really amazing

6. James Kumahn says:

Good job guys!!! you put tears in my eyes. You have purchased your blessings with a price. You will count your blessings to infinity. You have opened many doors for yourselves where there are abundance of blessings. You also have my blessings for your career.

7. Good job Rondae! I feel the love. Very inspiring

8. Alecs says:

So, I thought it was absolutely fantastic what those guys did for their mother. But why in the world would you make a video and brag about what you just did? It doesn’t eve matter any more. Looks like a publicity stunt.

• Truth says:

It didn’t look to me like they were doing it to brag or for publicity, it looked like he had been waiting to do this for her his entire life and he was as excited as she was. Don’t be a hater.

• Alecs says:

I’m not a hater. I just think these things should be done without the publicity. They even recorded themselves just like at some reality show. If I had the possibility, I’d do the same for my mother, and nobody would know. Because it would be FOR my mother.

9. Seven Costanza says:

Teary eyed. Every Mom deserves this. These two brothers are amazing. To do this for Mom is the dream!! Im a die hard Dubs fan, but I like the Nets. I was cheering for you guys in the playoffs last year. Im gonna be cheering for this kid from now on.

I love you Mom!!

10. Marco Antonio says:

That’s sweet. Good job Rondae! What you did is very inspiring.

11. mark covington says:

great job guys brought tears my eyes, once in a life time thing to do. all mothers deserve this.

12. Jaime says:

made me tear

13. Khawaja says:

You’re the real MVP!!!

14. John J. Johnston says:

I am always impressed with giving to strangers…When that occurs, that’s truly amazing ! Giving to a family member or
    close friend should happen all the time if you are able…..just saying ! For instance – buy me a private jet…Cessna Citation
    will be cool !

Thanks in advance !

15. Serge Ibaka says:

Props to you Rondae, But you still can’t dunk on me

16. Laker Fan says:

This is lovely. Some of the comments are funny but don’t take them too seriously,,,,especially the one where Serge says you can’t dunk on him….Now that’s funny.

17. Neena Burnett says:

This special occasion is truly an example of true love and appreciation. God continue to bless my cousins on the basketball court, their mission to change the lives of young children in their neighborhoods, their future spouses and children. And, let Rylanda and her mom live comfortably and peacefully in their beautiful new home.πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜˜πŸ˜€ To God be the glory for the great things he continues to do in your lives!

18. Mondo says:

Awesome video – there should be countless fun family gatherings in that home for years to come. I wish Mr. Hollis-Jefferson the best of luck in his career … except against Golden State of course πŸ˜‰

19. larry says:

I’m thinking that first of all it’s probably near New York City Metro Area so most houses are Extremely expensive to start with and there is limited land left so most houses in the area are older and Thats’s if you even have a HOUSE! Most live in apartments and those go for millions in NYC. I’m guessing that’s a $500,000 house in suburbs of Philly/NYC. Now if it was in Idaho, it would be like $50K but location is everything.

20. johnnytc1 says:

A great story. It’s sooooo refreshing to hear something other than coverage of the king.

21. laura A. says:

You made me cry . ..to see your Mom overwhelmed made me know what a special thing it was!It was a dream come true for a Mom who has struggled like myself to raise a child in hard times.I thank you for sharing your special moment and pray that you all enjoy the home with your sweet Mom.Blessed.

22. Virginia Barron says:

What a great MOM, to have such good sons, is amazing and so loving. In a society of violence and immoral , this is such a good things for other players to think of family and not just about them.

God bless this family