LeBron sends support to fan with Muscular Dystrophy

ALL BALL NERVE CENTERLeBron James might be one of the biggest sports superstars on the planet, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t human.

First, let’s rewind to an article a few weeks back from Greg Doyel in the Indianapolis Star, about a local high schooler named Emanuel Duncan, who is stricken with a form of muscular dystrophy. Although he’s in a wheelchair, he’s become an inspirational leader to his high school football team, providing spirit and support for his classmates.

Doyel ends the story with this exchange:

What does he want? I ask him for his bucket list. And this is what he says:

“My bucket list is to meet LeBron,” he tells me. “That’s the one thing I want to do. Meet LeBron James. That’s my role model. He inspires me to do everything. To be a good person, to put other people first, to live your life and do what makes you happy. If I meet LeBron James, that would make my day. I wouldn’t ask for anything.”

I tell Emanuel that LeBron is a great guy and would no doubt be honored to meet him. I tell him, let’s see if the Cleveland Cavaliers are coming to Bankers Life Fieldhouse this season to play the Pacers. Emanuel and I have talked several times, in person and on the phone, and now we’re on the phone and I’m telling him to wait as I look up the Pacers’ sched–

“They’re here Feb. 1,” he tells me.

How did you get that so fast?

“I’ve got the Cavaliers app on my phone.”

LeBron would be lucky to meet this kid. It’s like what Bryan Rutland was thinking when he tried to get Emanuel Duncan on the team. The football team needs, LeBron needs – everyone needs – a little bit of what Emanuel Duncan has.

But the story doesn’t end there. A few weeks after the article ran, a package showed up in the mail for Emanuel, along with a letter urging him to never give up.

The sender? LeBron James…

1. A.J. says:

Does anybody seriously believe James wrote that? I’m not saying he’s an evil guy or anything, but come on. His reps got what they wanted, which is Gregg Doyel doing their image work for free.

• jud kastner says:

yes, I believe Lebron is for real and cares; I’m sure the PR helps also; no matter what, this kid is happy and that’s all that matters.

2. Big Mike of Akron #1 fan of LBJ says:

The man is not only genuine, but he has a pure and unselfish heart. As I read this letter to this young man, I could feel what Labron was expressing what he felt from his heart and was putting it to words. God bless him and may his life’s Journey be good to him and to his beautiful family. Amen

3. sally says:

Don’t judge Lebron by what others do, he doesn’t work that way. I doubt you watch much basketball anyway, you just want to put him down because your jealous of his perfection. Get a life !

4. Alejandro says:

jajaja Lebron didn’t even have time to sign the letter personally, imagine if he took a minute to write it.

5. johnnytc1 says:

Wow king you have your own letter head… It would of been a really nice thing to do if you really did it. Even who ever wrote it always comes back to you! If you’re going to be there and send encouragement to someone going through tough stuff, have empathy for what they’re going through and don’t boast about you. king, king, king…. I do not know what you’re trying to improve. try try and try to be humble…. i guess thats not possible when you call yourself king and the best player in the world.

Milwaukee? What happened there. Were the 76 ers and Nicks busy yesterday?

6. johnnytc1 says:

Big Mike and Sally:

Do you really think da king wrote this letter? He didn’t sign it. As always I state only the facts. This is done by a staff person. don’t be rolled by da king. he’s not what you think he is. wishing you both a nice day.

7. nbafan says:

all these people hating on LeBron probably have never donated or did anything for others, yet they come on here and judge lol… how sad.

8. johnnytc1 says:

@nbafan. you’re missing the whole point. king had nothing to do with this! it was done by a member of the cav’s staff. don’t you think is da king would of signed his own name at least? don’t worry johnny will be here all season breaking down the facts of antics of da king. wising you a nice day.

9. Angeloknowsbest says:

why in the hell would lebron or anybody in this modern era write a letter, when you can type it…. So you don’t think it is possible that lebron heard about the kid and asked his staff to type these words en send him these stuff….if this is the case would it still be an act of his staff and not from the man himself…..btw I type my letters and have a digital signature, so I don’t have to sign letters all the time.. people always like to think of write negatively about whatever…bottom line doesn’t matter if it was a staff member or Lebron himself (still think Lebron) its the kind gesture that counts here….

10. Grenadian LIONKING HEAVY DEE says:

The fact is he responded, he did not have to. he took the time out to get his secretary to honor his words. who knows how busy he was or what he was about to do when he was made to know or saw this and decided to honor the kid with a letter. some of us imperfect humans always know how to try our best to make another look as bad as possible and we are no better than the person we trying to run to the ground. the guy works hard at everything he does and may just be a better role model to your kid than you are. stop judging imperfect human but if you are indeed perfect my bad. throw the first stone and feel good about it. i wonder what will be said when james actuarially meets that poor kid who must be so happy to get that letter. smh

11. johnnytc1 says:

@angeloknowsbest. You may not write it, but you do sign it, No one is casting the first stone just knowing one by their fuit and knowing full well that pride happens before the fall. The gesture was kind, but it wan’t done by da king. If he wants to change the world he’ll have to change his heart…