Dirk Nowitzki would like more cowbell

ALL BALL NERVE CENTER — One of the great sketches in “Saturday Night Live” history came a few years ago, when Christopher Walken was guest-hosting. In this skit, Walken played music producer “THE Bruce Dickinson,” and during a session with the band Blue Oyster Cult, he kept requesting “More cowbell!” from Gene, one of the band members, played by Will Ferrell. (As I’m writing about the skit, I realize it’s probably funnier and makes more sense if you just go watch the original skit here.)

Anyway, here’s the Dallas Mavericks’ version of that sketch, with Dirk Nowitzki as Bruce Dickinson and, well, all the members of the Mavs as Gene. I gotta have more cowbell!

VIDEO: Mav Cowbell

1. Erok says:

Pretty sad when you have to copy the Cowbell Kingdom of Sacramento. Try something original and new.

• Birdie says:

Pretty sad to call yourself the Cowbell Kingdom. Do you think SNL copied your pathetic little town too? Smh.

• BiggestHouseOnTheHill says:

Exactly my thoughts! SNL copied Sacromento, and that’s pretty sad – as SNL should be a town of it’s own and be proud of their Basketball team. I don’t even know where Sacromento is, probably some dirty armpit village in Midwest.

• Erok says:

Let me refresh your memory, when Sacramento knocked your team out of the playoff’s and you beat up some innocent chairs on the way to your locker room, come on you can remember big guy.

2. chouk11 says:

this is so stupid

3. Kevin says:

This is a Sacramento thing, not a Dallas thing. The Kings have played the SNL skit on the scoreboard during the 4th quarter for years. Cowbells have been our thing for 15 years. Back off Dallas!

4. dirkedirkedirke says:

only difference: theres a trophy in the studio lol

5. Stop hating. Anyone who doesn’t want to see Dirk recreate every character Christopher Walken ever played is a liar.

6. mitkhunchikidze says:

Dirk is a great athlete, and I’m glad he didn’t choose acting.
    This horrendous production smells like Mark Cuban. I can see him watching this and feeling truly happy!
    Bad acting and lack of originality. Otherwise, what’s good about this clip?