Kobe Bryant Can’t Stop Believing

BOSTON - JUNE 17: Fans of the Boston Celtics support their team behind (bottom L-R) Chris Mihm #31, Kobe Bryant #24 and Pay Gasol #16 of the Los Angeles Lakers in Game Six of the 2008 NBA Finals on June 17, 2008 at the TD Banknorth Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright: 2008 NBAE (Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty Images)

ALL BALL NERVE CENTERKobe Bryant‘s competitiveness is legendary. Nobody works harder, nobody is more motivated to win. But where does he find that motivation? The answer might surprise you.

With the Lakers getting ready for Kobe’s final appearance in Boston, Kobe talked about the 2008 NBA Finals, which the Lakers lost to the Boston Celtics. The deciding game of that series was Game 6, which took place in Boston, where after wins, the Celtics blast Journey’s classic “Don’t Stop Believing” over the PA system. And to find motivation to get back to the NBA Finals, Kobe recently told reporters that he cued up “Don’t Stop Believing” every day for two years, until the Lakers were able to get revenge during the 2010 Finals…

“It was a tough two years in between. I remember when we were losing, they played that song, that Journey song, and the whole arena started singing that song, and I hated that damn song for two years. Seriously, man. But I listened to the song every single day because it just reminded me of that feeling.”

Hold on to that feeling, Kobe…

VIDEO: Don’t Stop Believing

1. T says:

…..and on the next episode of what Kobe Bryant did next…….

2. Pierre says:

YAWN….ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

3. Carleen R. says:

hey! The man is a legend!! He is up there with the tired old song Michael Jordan, he is up there with the real greats, Kareem and Malone! Who can deny him this last season even though he isn’t playing up to his old standards?!? Next bronze statue at Staples Center? Kobe Bean!!
    I am tired of the Steph Curry coverage though. I was a Currey fan way before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon after they won last year. Ho hum already!

4. Hazim says:

This is this greatness of Kobe; in every step along the road there is a reason to be the best of the best. I still remember that day n Boston when Lakers lost 2008 and for me setting behind the TV watching the game ended with this loss, it was almost the end for world for me…. I kept watching Kobe, Pau , Derrick , Trevor , Lamar what they will do about it… for the next two years until Lakers got the win in 2010 was the most divesting and heart breaking and scary 2 years I ever watch basketball. The greatness of Kobe is not just to win because of himself as a competitor; Kobe wins for all his fans in all over the world Kobe felt that me heart! And the other hearts as well and Kobe won again and bet Boston …I have high respect to MJ, Dr. J and the other , but for my 30 years of watching NBA, I think Kobe is the greatest of all time, probably people won’t vote for it now I am sure people will vote later..
    Kobe … We would love to see you next season…for one more time… its hard for me and millions not to see number 24. We love you man!

5. T and Pierre R Bums says:

you must be LeBum lovers, how can you not love hearing stories about a guy who has had such a great and long career. I mean I hated Jordan in his day. But, today I still love to hear MJ stories. Because unlike you trifle idiots. I have respect for the players, even if they don’t play on my favorite team. Kids today, no respect.

• Demarr says:

Maybe they like many other people are tired of having anything and everything about Kobe Bryant pushed in their faces all the time, something the American media notorious for. Perhaps the real bum is you!

6. Crazy Ken says:

Interesting tid-bit. Fun article Lang.

7. Aaron Grusby says:

Kobe is a great player, but really next to players like Magic and Larry he is an after thought. You want to see greatness watch the finals between Boston and LA. in the 1980’s then talk to me about greatness. The present group of NBA players would have a hard time keeping up with the 80’s Celtics and Lkers.

8. Every one likes to talk about the individual players may it be Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwayne Wade. While it is true individually speaking Michael Jordan was the best player of all time in basketball, lets give credit where it is due as far as teams are concerned. The greatest basketball team in NBA history was Bil Russel’s Boston Celtics which won 11 NBA world titles out of 13 seasons it competed in. This included beating competition like Wilt Chamberlain many times over.

• Celtic Green all my life says:

Hello Illuminated, Just to give you who I am I went to my first Celtics game when I was 4 years old during Bob Cousey’s last year he played. I just barely remember him. I saw Russell’s Celtics win 7 of those titles in the 60’s and your absolutely right about the team being more important than the player. To the end of my days I will say that take all the best players from all of Michael Jordan’s NBA title winning teams and have them and Michael compete against the 80’s Lakers or Celtics and the Chicago Bulls win 0 zero championships. Just think of those Chicago teams trying to beat Boston’s original Big Three Bird, Mchaule and Parrish they would have been stopped in there tracks never mind the front line of LA. Teams are always greater than the individual that is why Russell is the all time greatest winner 11 out of 13 or as I always say more rings than fingers. The trumps MJ any day of the century……

9. ivan says:

I like kobe I like LeBron as well but if you either say f kobe or f LeBron you are tripping out because you cant compare this two players one is more of a team player witch is LeBron an the other one is more of I could do it all just like the greatest witch is Jordan him self was never a lakers fan but you have too respect the mans game kobe made the game look so easy an for him to play for 1 team his hole career that speaks for its self was a part of lakers teams that wouldn’t even be close to make the playoffs never left stuck around till the ending that right there is respect an loyal to a city just like mj was with the bulls in the other hand one thing I don’t respect in LeBron was the reason he left his home town for south beach to win a ring I understand he was hungry an couldn’t do it alone but maybe if he would haven’t left he would have a lot of fans but respect the man came back home made it to the finals again didn’t have enough in the tank by himself to win it all so that shows people this is a team effort not a one man team.. congrats to kobe your one off my all time fav….

10. […] record includes a Game 6 loss in the 2008 NBA Finals that eliminated the Lakers and caused Kobe to play the song “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey every day for two years. You know that moment will be on Kobe’s mind when he takes the floor at TD Garden for the […]